They are essential for your life and for the day to day, but many things about your eyes remain unknown. In this post we want to share with you some fun facts the eyes and vision that will surely surprise you.
- An adult blinks 17 times per minute. We are talking 14,000 blinks a day and 5.2 million a year! Another curious fact is that we blink more when talking to other people and less when we read.
- We blink that much for a reason; to protect the eyes, keep them lubricated and eliminate any debris or particles that may have entered them.
- The human eye can distinguish up to 10 million colors, but the brain is in charge of interpreting them.
- An estimated 12% of the population have the ability to see more colors than the rest. They are called tetrachromatars.
- There are also people who only see in black and white due to an anomaly known as achromatopsia, which is considered an extreme case of color blindness.
- It is said that all people with blue eyes descend from a single ancestor who lived between 6,000 and 10,000 years ago.
- Although there are people who seem to have black eyes, but there is not such iris color. They can get very dark, but never totally black. Having lighter or darker eyes depends on the amount of accumulated melanin.
- Although it may sound like a contradiction, sometimes when the eyes are very dry, they cry. It is the body's mechanism to counteract dryness and regain the moisture they need.
How many of these facts did you know? Keep your eyes healthy by wearing the right pair of sunglasses. Explore our collection to find the right pair for you. All orders have free shipping and returns.